Thursday, March 31, 2011

mamma mia, here i go again

Just got back from seeing Mamma Mia!  I was a little disappointed: I think Billy Elliot had set my standard for musicals way too high.  I felt the whole show was too understated!  I wanted more flashing lights and spontaneous dancing and loud, heartfelt singing!  There wasn't that sense of exhilaration upon leaving the theatre that I got from Billy Elliot.  I did enjoy it, though.  Here comes a plot-spoiler, so if you've never seen Mama Mia and really care...then stop reading here.  But I liked how she never finds out who her real father is.  Because the whole time, I was thinking it had to be that one guy (sorry, don't remember names) who was the coolest, handsomest, most down-to-earth of the three possibilities.  The other two were placed there for comic relief, basically, and so therefore could not be her real dads.  I was expecting the whole time for her to find out it was Mr. Down-to-Earth, you know, the one who didn't enjoy getting lapdances from her friends at her bacherlorette party, because he was too mature and father-like to be into that kind of thing.  But then it ends--and she still doesn't know!  I liked that.  It would have been too predictable, otherwise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment