Saturday, April 9, 2011

school's out, so is the sun

Classes ended on 1 April, and I have been devoting plenty of time to soaking up the sun.  Yeah, that's right Salt Lake City...London's been in the 60-70 degree range. My days lack structure (as will this blog post), especially since I still can't go running.  At first this really bothered me, but now I don't mind so much.  I have four research papers due one after the other in May, starting on the 6th.  I've finished my Shakespeare paper, and begun one for my World Travellers class, so I feel alright about getting them all done on time.  Most of my flatmates have gone home for Easter break, and will come back for the exam period in May--the flat's been really empty. 

I am pretty much broke these days, and so will not be going on any major trips.  That's what I get for deciding to live in London for nine months without employment, I guess.  I'm preparing to step onto American soil with not a penny to my name.  I have a few things I still want to do and see while I am here, but to be honest, I'm really ready to come home.  I wouldn't say I'm homesick: just ready to come home.

If there is one thing I've learned from moving around so much, it's that location doesn't really matter.  What matters is doing what you love (if that is not possible unless you live in a certain place, then this philosophy doesn't apply to you very well), and being with people you love.  I love to travel and I love to see different places, and I'm lucky I've gotten to go to school in so many different locations.  But people are important, family is important, and sometimes it's not enough--for me, at least--to "be there" for people when you're not really there, you're across an ocean or a country.

That said, I've been really enjoying spending time with the people I've met here.  Yesterday, I went with Michael to a farm (yes, a farm!) just down the road.  It was kind of like a petting zoo, open to the public.  Michael's been working on getting a cafe built there, and I helped them clear out the kitchen so they could knock down a wall.  I loved the whole concept of the place--it was so unique and family-friendly, and I hope the cafe happens.  That night, we made a chicken dinner at the flat.  Today I went to the south bank with Rachel, for a chocolate festival.  There were a bunch of tents set up from different chocolate and confectioner companies, many of which were offering free samples.  Afterward, we went to Covent Garden and window-shopped and watched a street performer, then to Chinatown (got my soba noodles) and Trafalgar Square.

Here are a few pictures taken in front of Pooley House from before everyone went their separate ways for the Easter holiday:


























And here's some of us before going to the end of term party at Drapers:


















This is Rachel being excited about the sun on the way back from Victoria Park the other day:

No comments:

Post a Comment