Wednesday, March 9, 2011

happy belated pancake day

Yesterday was Pancake Day.  It's the day before Lent (I forget the official name), and Lucy told me it's when families are supposed to clean out their cupboards in preparation for fasting, and usually people have all the ingredients for pancakes, so that's what they make.  Flat 40 made European- and American-style pancakes last night, with lemon and blueberries.

Kira, my roommate from last year at Westminster, went back to Utah last Saturday, after staying with me for a week.  We went all over London--split a slice of mocha cake at Foyle's cafe, bought egg rolls in Chinatown, found Peter Pan in Hyde Park, got spritzed with perfume at Harrod's, listened (and dozed) to Evensong at St. Paul's, window-shopped on Oxford Street, rode a double-decker to Piccadilly Circus, hit up the Sunday upmarket in the east end, strolled along the Thames at night, ran in Victoria Park, went clubbing in Camden.  We had lots of down-time, too, and she really enjoyed hanging out with my flatmates.  I'm glad I got to show her around London and share a little bit of this huge experience with her, but it was the little things I've missed about her that made her visit so special: chatting over oatmeal and coffee in the mornings, late-night chats about the big and the little things in life, spontaneous dance parties, shouting her name down the hallway, grocery shopping, etc.  Lauren joined us on Thursday--she also goes to Westminster, and is studying in Glasgow this semester.  I was able to go to class and turn in essays while Kira and Lauren did their own thing. 


Here we are in front of Big Ben and Parliament.




There is a brand new mall by St. Paul's called One New Change.  We took the glass elevator up to the top of the mall for a view of St. Paul's and the city.
On Sunday morning, we went to the Columbia Road flower market.  It's about a half an hour's walk from my flat.  I'd never been before, and it's something I'd always been meaning to do.  We both loved it, and I ended up going back there with Lauren the next Sunday.
"Three for a fiver!"
Columbia Road is lined with small quirky shops.  Kira bought a beautiful necklace at this jewelry shop.
Seagulls at Hyde Park
This is the Peter Pan statue in Hyde Park.  She can fly, she can fly, she can fly!
Sunny day.
Hyde Park
Harrod's
Harrod's
On Friday night, we went out for curry at a place off of Mile End road.  Kira made a new friend.
Lauren, Kira and I getting ready for a night out in Camden

No comments:

Post a Comment