Tuesday, March 22, 2011

poetry and tea and scones

My favorite thing about the Salt Lake City Arts Festival is the poetry slam competition.  The poetry of poetry slams generally  goes against my usual poetical preferences, solely because it is so wordy.  But there is just something about slams.  The words are relentless and rhythmic and passionate and unexpected, sometimes funny, sometimes sad, often politically charged.  And I love being part of a crowd entranced, enjoying these creative endeavors, generous acts of bravery.  I feel that poetry slammers are generally people who are not in the spotlight, and here they are, sharing something deeply personal with strangers.

I went to a poetry slam of sorts the other night, at a pub called the White Hart next to Crystal Palace station.  There were three guys who performed their poetry, none of whom you'd take for poets if you were to pass them in the street.  I wasn't a fan of their main subject--various drugs and their effects--but I was able to enjoy the crowd and the atmosphere, the rhythm and enthusiasm.  There was another guy who read a poem about Jewish eyeballs, which Rachel and I laughed at (she's Jewish), and a poem about pigeons.  Anyway, it was fun, but nothing compared to the poets of SLC.  I definitely want to search out more slams, though, and give London's poetry scene another chance!

Bekah came to visit me the other weekend.  We were a part of the same church youth group back in middle school/high school.  She is studying in Seville, Spain this semester.  On the Sunday she left, I took her to Columbia Road, and we had tea and scones with clotted cream and jam at a little place called The Cake Hole.  It's located in the back of a store called Vintage Heaven with a lavender doorway.  I can't wait to take my mom there when she and my dad are here in June!



























On a not-so-fun note, I had a doctor's appointment today for my leg, which has still been bothering me.  It's driving me nuts not being able to run in all this nice weather London's been having--and I'm not even supposed to be walking much.  Kind of difficult to live in a place like this and not walk a lot, but I'm trying!  I want to heal quickly! And...now I need to go get my laundry.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment