Sunday, September 26, 2010

Well, it had to happen: I got lost in London.  Actually, I've been lost before, but with a group of people all looking at maps and figuring things out together.  This time it was just me--and I consider the whole experience a success (and know it will definitely happen again...).

This morning, I decided to find one of the many street markets in the East End.  I was looking for Brick Lane, but ended up at the Petticoat Lane Sunday market.  Booths, bargaining, and bedlam!  Bags, shoes, toys, cds, jewelry, watches, and lots and lots of clothing, all at bargain prices.  I wanted to go in to full on shopping mode, but because I still want to eat for the rest of my time in London, I restrained myself...for the most part.  ;)  People were everywhere--I saw several people with huge suitcases to lug around their purchases.  After Petticoat Lane, I found Spitalfields Market, which had a more upscale feel to it.  Spitalfields is located in a mall area, with booths from up-and-coming designers.  It was nice to just wander around and see what people had created.  I bought lunch from a booth--it was some kind of spicy lamb- and potato-filled wrap.

Now comes the getting lost part: I think I went down Shoreditch instead of Commercial Road.  Anyway, I found myself in a maze of tall buildings--probably the area people refer to as the financial district.  I found myself at Monument tube station, which isn't all that far from St. Paul's!  This makes me realize how walkable London is.  I found my way back eventually, and stopped at Sainsbury's for a few groceries. 

Speaking of groceries: everyone is expected to bag their own, here.  The first time I encountered this, I was totally unprepared, and ended up holding up the whole line while I frantically attempted to stuff everything into bags.  It doesn't help that the cashiers seem to ring things up at three times the normal ringing-up pace.

Yesterday, I went to the National Gallery with Jersey, Robbie, and Michael.




















This is one of the many Van Gogh paintings on display there.  It's mind-boggling to stand in front of something I'd only ever seen in art history books and on postcards.

No comments:

Post a Comment