Monday, May 16, 2011

Hillsong

I've been going to a church called Hillsong: it meets in a theatre which shows the "We Will Rock You" musical six days a week, right outside of Tottenham Court Road tube station.  I could attempt at this point to make some witty comment about how, on Sundays, people still get rocked in that building, even though it's a church service and not a Queen-based musical, but I have a feeling I'd just botch it.  (Well.  Too late.)

Anyway, I enjoy the services, and the worship team is incredible.  Apparently they write all their own music, and it gets used by churches all over the world.  Not last week, but the week before, they had a guest speaker named Lisa Bevere--from Colorado!  I'd never heard of her, but apparently she's a Big Deal: she's written numerous books and travels all over giving her sermons and talks.  And I realized that I'd never heard a woman pastor before!  Her sermon was very motivating.  It made me want to go out and accomplish all my goals and dreams and get my voice heard etc. etc. etc.  I realize those things may sound cliched and cheesy, but I think that to a certain extent it's important to buy in to them (well, of course it is!  Otherwise, how would anything ever get done?).  It made me realize how important the books you read and the music you listen to and the people you talk with are in terms of your personal development and outlook on life in general.  One cannot live on Sylvia Plath alone.

Anyway, I'm glad I found Hillsong.  I go there with one of my flatmates, Esther, who is from Minnesota.  Afterward we usually go to Chinatown for dumplings and boba tea or to Chipotle for overpriced burritos.  It's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment